Sunday, October 23, 2011

I’m a Country/City Girl

I’ve always heard people describing themselves as either country folk or city folk. I have thought about this and decided I don’t really belong in either, but right in the middle.

Both of my parents grew up in small towns in Wisconsin, and almost all of my family, specifically my dad’s side, still lives in the same town. My parents were the strange ones who moved away to Minnesota to a city where not everyone knows everyone else. Growing up in away from my extended family made me value them more and every time I saw them was very special. When I think of my family, the same images come to mind: the drive there looking out the window at the cornfields and beautiful landscape while listening to my dad’s classic rock CD’s, hugging my grandparents as I walk in the kitchen and smell something home cooked, and playing with my cousins in the huge yard and apple orchard.

As much as I love that part of my family, growing up in a city much larger than 4,000 people, it is harder for me to relate to them. I have always had this love for big cities and foreign places. Maybe it’s just me being young and wanting to have all these new experiences but I cannot picture myself living in a nice, quiet small town when I am older.

As far as knowing who I am and what I like, I would say I am a combination between these two opposites. My family and my past have been more influenced by the “country” lifestyle, but I believe my present and my future are destined for a “city” lifestyle.

3 comments:

  1. I can see your point entirely. I am that small town girl now in such a big city. I come from a town of 1100 and know everything about everyone. I understand what is so appealing for some people to want that sort of life that closeness, but it can also lead to great narrowmindedness. I have made many friends from big cities and what not and I find that they have missed out on a life too. I always think about how one cannot compare to persons equally for there are too many factors going towards each one. Like some always say one mans pain is another man's happiness. I too might be in this phase of wanting to conquer the world, travelling, learning, everything is new and exciting and it creates experiences like I have never know before. I don't really know where I'm going with this but both the city life and country life have things to offer that the other cannot compete with. I always feel like bringing up the term from economics, opportunity costs. Each of us must make our own decisions based on who we are and what we wish to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, I lived in a small-town Faribault, MN for a while while my Mom was undergoing cancer treatment. It's crazy how different it is. I really enjoy the country feel since the outlying areas are still pretty much all farmland and everything. However, that's about all that is cool.
    Perhaps, it ties back into the way culture defines who we are, but I feel many people that have lived in the city for awhile keep at least some of their roots there. What I mean by that is attending lots of socializing events, working downtown, or, perhaps, living here. I think the fact that you can always find something to do really appeals to people.

    I can sort of relate to those that live in small towns, but I just couldn't deal with the simple trivial things that upset people in some small towns because they have nothing better to do, or say about people.

    I know they view people living in urban area's in much the same way we view them, so who's right and who is wrong isn't at hand, because, well, when it comes down to it that's what we know and that's the culture that we were instilled with.

    I think there is also a huge trend from our generation to stay within the city and we are not as attracted to the urban sprawl as our parents once were. I completely agree that I could never live in the country. There just isn't enough mental stimulation and I would very likely lose my mind if I had to live there for any longer than a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up I attended seven different schools. The small schools (Big Lake and Becker) were my favorite. The big schools (Elk River and St. Cloud Tech) were like giant sharks which wanted to devour me. I feel that in the small towns, people grow up together in schools and therefore just accept each other for who they are, even if they are going through a "phase" of say, punk hair or a mohawk. There seems to be that intrinsic trust already in place so when you show up to school looking different, people just say "Eh, s/he is still so and so..." That's my take on the country folk/city folk topic. One day if/when you have children, the thought of living in a small town where the teacher/student ratio is less than 29 students to 1 teacher and there is a certain safety, you may reconsider living in a small town. Now days with the lightrail and major highways, a day of entertainment and diversity is less than an hour drive away. There's your mental stimulation. PLUS, in the big schools, I NEVER got on the cheerleading squad. In Becker (small school), I was CAPTAIN of the cheerleading squad. LOL. Just less competition so I was able to participate in tons of extra curricular activities which would not have happened in a larger school. That is great for a kid's self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete