Monday, October 3, 2011

Body Practices in Everyday Life--Bethany via Robin


Body Practices in Everyday Life

A body practice from everyday life that I have noticed that I do is that when walking in public, my “docile body” makes eye contact with the passersby (considering there are not too many such as in between classes at on campus) and I either give a smile or say hello. While still walking, I may even comment on the weather or compliment them. This is how I have always been since I can remember. I feel very uncomfortable NOT doing this. Have I somehow been argued into subjectivity and this is why I do this? Have I been that well-groomed by “Minnesota Nice?”  Now here is the sticking point: if that smile or greeting isn’t returned, I take it personally (REJECTION!), for a second and then tell myself that they are probably lost in their thoughts or shy. Yikes! Man, what’s wrong with me? IS there anything wrong with me? Should it matter? It isn’t as if I spend time pondering this point, but I would love to know what others’ experience with this is.
One other thing, I have mastered the ability to be able to automatically know when the distance for making eye-contact and smiling is too great or early. If you do it too early, it is just awkward. I think that when you are both about to pass each other within three seconds, it is a good time. Two seconds will work too. This cultural hard and fast rule regarding this came from SOMEPLACE but WHERE?
According to Bordo I guess I am using my body as a way to make an intimate exchange and somehow be accepted because that is what my culture has taught me to do. I guess that would make sense. She DOES quote Mary Douglas on page 165: “The body is a powerful symbolic form, a surface on which the central rules, hierarchies, and even metaphysical commitments of a culture are inscribed and thus reinforced through the concrete language of the body.”  
            Here is an interesting link on the subject. It’s nice to know if I am the only one with questions regarding it. Cheers!

http://ask.metafilter.com/121190/When-to-make-eye-contact-with-people-on-the-street

No comments:

Post a Comment