Sunday, October 23, 2011

Economic Status

I grew up in a relatively well off suburb, with a decent house and pretty nice things, all things considered. My family has never really been poor that I can think of, but we've definitely been lower-middle class because of different circumstances that have occurred through my life. I've never felt like I missed out on things, but I have always been a little jealous of a lot of my friends. I have several different friends that could just simply tell their parents they were going out for the evening and their parents would suddenly produce $20 for them to use to pay for whatever happens in the night. These same people have gotten to go to college with a lot less stress on their shoulders because their parents are happily footing the bill for them.

Since I was 15, I have held either one or two jobs that all contributed to either being able to go out and enjoy myself, or to pay for school to try and get a better career in the long run. I don't resent anyone for my situation, since the working experience has given me a much more mature outlook on my finances, and has taught me a good distinction between work and play. Has it upset me because all my friends can go out and have fun when I have to go to work? Yes. But, now I have a job that comfortably sits in the normal workweek, and pays quite well. I don't think that I would be working the job I am now without the experience under me and the confidence I've gained in myself by being able to provide for me. I now have a much easier position than a lot of my friends because of the difficulty of previous years.

Not only has getting better jobs been easier for me because of my previous experience, the idea of working to acquire the money I have also taught me to be more appreciative of what I do have, more independent, and it has certainly influenced my studies. Whenever I've been able to go out with friends for the past several years I've had to come up with the capital to invest in that fun for myself, which has made me have a direct correlation of money to work to fun. Along with that when I was looking for what to major in a lot of the consideration I made was how employable will I be when I finish school, while how interested I was in the coursework came as a secondary consideration. I love what I'm studying, but it certainly wouldn't have been my first choice if I was only looking for furthering my education in the coolest, most fun major possible.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Having grown up as one of those people you alluded to as having a more laid back, parent dependent lifestyle, I have always admired and been inspired by students who are independent--work and study. They seem very able individuals, know exactly how to manage their time, and extremely mature/broad minded when it comes to making decisions, such as the one you made about choosing a major. You have become used to responsibility being on your shoulders. For others who are not used to it, entering the workforce or even entering college comes as a shock since we are largely dependent on ourselves to progress so while we may have had it easy at first, reality seems to hit us later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I think jobs are a great way to not only make some money but really grow a lot in the process and become responsible. I know since I have started working at my job, I have grown a lot as a person and learned a lot about myself. And it teaches you how you should spend and save and be more independent. Though I definitely feel the pressure of paying for school by myself, I know in the long run it will make my stronger and more ready for the world once I graduate. It is my goal to graduate with little or hopefully no debt. Plus having to work for things really makes you appreciate what you do have in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realate to this post as well. Growing up things in my family weren't always easy and when I was old enough to get a job, I got one. And even though I hated it the entire first year I worked there, I knew I couldn't quit and it eventually got better. Having a job, or several, really helps you grow as a person and teaches you some valuable life lessons. Even though I didn't have everything growing up, my parents still let me have some amazing experiences and I would never trade that for anything. As much as I want to have a job that makes bank when I'm older, I don't want my children growing up "spoiled" or thinking that money grows on trees. I want them to know the importance of work and responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate with you. I've had the luxury of paying for my education as well. Last year I even took a year off from school to go work so that I could afford school. Like you I don't have any hard feelings for people that have their school paid for. I take pride in the fact that I am supporting myself and buying my education without much help from anybody else. It's made me appreciate school much more and it has made me a harder worker.

    ReplyDelete