Thursday, October 13, 2011

Giving into the Focus

I am a lifeguard every summer for my hometown pool. Coming from a small town not very many people would come to the pool so us lifeguards would often spend much of our time reading magazines or books. One day while we were looking at Cosmo's Most Sexiest Men we noticed something about the pictures. The camera wasn't even focused on their faces, or their bodies, but instead their, uh-ehm, packages. I couldn't find those exact pictures so I just got one of a shirtless male. However, this made all of us lifeguards laugh at the time but now looking back on it, I am just in aw. Usually the sex that is objectified for their body is that of the female kind. Cosmo was/is participating in that on-going circle we discussed in class on Tuesday. I felt more dominance knowing Cosmo was giving us ladies a chance to be the lookers, or rather the raters if you will. We were finally given the chance to grade guys, and as the photographers allowed us, not necessarily by their six-packs. I feel our society is going through a sort-of shift in the way women are allowed to go about their sexual desires. It is becoming more acceptable and common for the female gender to speak out about how sometimes they might be in the mood for a one-night stand or daring moves under the covers. I feel society is slowly giving us the chance to be promiscuous out loud for a change, cougars, gold-diggers, and the like are represented well on many television shows. Whether we want to be part of this crowd or not the media is slowly convincing enough of us for them to keep on selling these stories. If no one wanted a part in such a movement, they would be losing business, the circle would end. My point I wanted to bring up most here is even though the picture is of a half dressed male, they (Cosmo in this case) are "gendering" a new type of female, claiming that that's what society is looking for in women, particularly what the men are looking for. A female who is clearly in touch with her sexual side and is not afraid to speak up and act upon her wants and needs.

3 comments:

  1. Wow,Amanda. I am impressed that you are a life guard first of all. I read the requirements for this job and the test is quite rigorous and demands a lot of strength. I think that points out an entirely NEW discourse about stereotypes of women not being strong. I always see skinny female life guards and wonder how they passed the exam to be certified. I never wonder that about the male life guards. This clearly shows how culture has mapped its assumptions onto me. Regarding the new discourse that Cosmo is starting, I think it is true and very eloquently put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lifeguard also and I can definitely see where you're coming from. Any life guard pictures usually tend to have the guys without shirts and girls with minimal clothing, also staring off into the distance... like they're looking for someone to save... haha. Well anyway I think they try to put that image of perfection in everyone's mind, that every lifeguard is in great shape and looks amazing doing their job. Some lifeguards do, but it is just another way to sexualize someone. I think what makes lifeguards "sexy" is the fact that its just their job, you don't see architects or accountants sexualized for their work. I also think you have a good point saying that it's a way for women to become more, well like a man when they look at these pictures. Every issue of most women's magazines have a reference on the cover to sex or guys, always. I noticed that in my subscription and if you pass any news stand or section in a book store you will see the same thing. Today it's more acceptable for women to think and behave like this and it's all because of images like these. It's a never ending circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does his gaze make me SO uncomfortable? What's the assumed 'subject position'? And am I as confidently straight as I think I am?

    ReplyDelete