Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Paragraph 14 of the Pope's Encyclical states that "Similarly excluded is any action which either before, at the moment of, or after sexual intercourse, is specifically intended to prevent procreation—whether as an end or as a means. (16)"
This statement refers to any form of preventative birth control- condoms, the pill, the patch, "family planning", anything. Obviously, being a young woman in college, this offends me. The body practices I choose to do with my own body are my decisions and my decisions only. I was raised my entire life in a very strictly Catholic way, so I understand WHY the Pope must establish this stance. However, being raised in this way allows me to see both sides of the situation. While I don't think that everyone should be exploiting their bodies and having sex with whomever they want, I believe that it is their choice to do (or not do) so. Being on birth control does not necessarily mean that someone is going to be promiscuous. And where does this word, "promiscuous" come from anyway? What does it really mean? This is another social construct. What one person views as promiscuous behavior may not be promiscuous to someone else. It all depends on the way we were raised and the things we believe. So, while the Pope believes that any form of sexual contact is inappropriate, or promiscuous, if it is not with a spouse, many people disagree with this statement. I still believe in God. I still believe that Jesus died for us, and I still believe that there is a Heaven. Just because I choose to go on "the pill" or wear "the patch" doesn't mean Jesus doesn't love me. Thanks, Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment