Saturday, December 3, 2011

Equal opportunites for all or confined division of labor?

My grandmother recently visited us from southern India. My grandfather had passed away recently and so we thought we could better help her cope if she was here with us in the US. Having lived in India all her life, it was quite a change for her in terms of lifestyle, environment, and culture. Seeing her deal with the cultural shock opened my eyes to the startling differences between the two countries’ approach to life. While there are a plethora of things I could write about, the thing that perhaps struck me the most was her perceptions on how the household should be ran. In India, much of the traditional culture(now it is slowly changing and becoming more westernized) is centered around gender roles and socio economic status. The society is divided and delegated responsibilities based on these two criterion. It is not exactly a land of equal opportunities, much of your fate/life’s path is determined right at birth. It is hard to climb the ladder in India, and society functions within the roles defined by the rungs of the ladder.

In middle class and upper class families, each household has servants who run the household from cooking ,cleaning, washing clothes, serving food, every chore has a specific person designated to it and the masters and mistresses of the household supervise but never directly participate in this so called “menial work”. When I visit India, I’m largely reminded of this being like a form of slavery except on a nicer level. These servants work so hard, but are paid very little and given food only after everyone else has eaten—since they consist of the lowest rung of the ladder, they are looked down upon and we are not allowed to touch them or associate with them except on a professional basis. Because of the large household support they provide, many luxuries can be afforded by the members of the house—new dishes are expected at each meal, no leftovers being consumed but rather given to the servants. Having entered this country with such a mindset, my grandmother was shocked at the state of affairs at our house: leftovers consumed for days at a time, we all taking turns to do the dishes, each of us handling our own laundry or vacuuming the carpets. She was very upset for the first couple of weeks she was here thinking that we were struggling financially to be in such a state of affairs—when she came to know that this was how things worked here, she was even more surprised saying that this was not the way of things and how everyone could not be equal and allowed to do the same tasks.

The issue here seems to be whether everyone should be allowed equal opportunities in terms of economic and social progression or should certain people be confined to certain roles in the beginning itself? It seems that from a moral and ethical perspective, the former would be correct. These confinements of roles actually turns out to influence the economy as well and pave the way for corruption, briberies, black money, etc making it hard to climb the ladder or attain opportunities outside of birth right. But my grandmother doesn’t seem to know or understand these reasons partly because women traditionally were not taught to ponder on such things, or actually ponder at all. They were to accept and believe what was said, no questions asked. In this framework, my grandmother seems to have had a hard time leaving all that she has been taught to believe was correct and the proper way things worked to a totally different, and opposite way of thinking. In India, this type of division of labor has insinuated itself into the system—the different socioeconomic statuses occupying different forms of labor, making each status available to do a different set of jobs and hence not able to intermix among each other. Reforming that system into one of equal opportunities like in the US would need a gradual progression to inflict less damage onto economy as well as ease into the culture/mindsets of the people.

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why, from a moral and ethical perspective, you think that "everyone should be allowed equal opportunities in terms of economic and social progression". What makes you say this? It very well may be true, but it seems like this would need more justification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can related to your grandmother, but on the opposite spectrum. My husband moved from Yemen to Saudi Arabia when he was four years old. Most middle and upper class households in Saudi have maids. My sister in-law has three maids. When I first visited there, the maids addressed me as "Madame." I had the most difficult time accepting this. I told them to call me Bethany. I was then told by my in-laws that this was not acceptable and that they must address me formally. Having owned a business where I cleaned, cooked, grocery shopped, nannied and blananced checking accounts for other families, I had a really hard time dealing with this inequality. In fact, my husband told me not let his family know that I did this for a living as it would degrade me somehow. I really struggled with this. In Saudi the maids are literally locked in until they get their one or two days off per month! They are locked in because otherwise they may let a friend in or leave without giving a notice. A good maid is really difficult to find in Saudi. There are many fears: they could put a curse on the family they are working for, they could steal, or they could hurt the children they are caring for. Most maids are Indonesian, Somali, or Philipino. They are usually in Saudi because they came for Hajj (pilgrimage) and illegally remained there. Therefore, they are employed illegally by the families, which is another reason they are locked into the house-for fear of being caught working illegally. Some families treat their maids really well and as a part of their family. That is what I experienced with my in-laws. They are very kind to the maids, but they also establish boundaries. Other families are very abusive to the maids. I feel that reform is definitely inorder so that people working as household help with have specific rights and will be treated fairly. Right now, it is hit or miss. I personally do not like it and I told my husband that when we live in Saudi, we will NOT be having a maid. I just cannot do that. I would be willing to hire someone to come to my house once per week to clean becuase that is what I did for my clients when I had my own business. My clients are dear friends to me even today and would never disrespect me. I also called the terms under which I was employed. I wish that for the people working in households in Saudi as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely would like a little more information about your statement like Phil mentioned. You very well be correct but it is very hard to grasp and understand what you are really trying to get across to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sneha this post is extremely interesting thank you for sharing it. I think you expressed yourself clearly and effectively. The assignment was to look at a subject position different from your own and explore it. Taking into account the culture and psychology behind it, and “build a bridge to it” in some way. instead of making a extensive argument as to why your idea is right and the other isn't. You stated your personal perspective clearly and assertively, while keeping the primary focus on the other perspective you were examining. In terms of the assignment you shouldn't need to justify your own position on economic equality any further than you did.

    I've read about the caste system in India, the way it was and how it's changed, but I've never actually known anyone who's had any personal connection to it. Your post made me think of a book I read a while back titled the God of small things. A lot of the story was centered around the caste system and how it influences the characters lives. One of the major plot points is that a certain character is a untouchable worker who's made social relationships that are deemed unacceptable. It was a intense confusing story, but I found it very compelling and was really drawn in by it. Anyway, it's definitely worth reading if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete