Monday, December 12, 2011

I found paragraph nine about Married Love very interesting. I liked how it described love, not necessarily the relationship between a man and woman. The words "husband" and "wife" were used, but it mainly focused on the love that develops between two people. "This love is above all fully human, a compound of sense and spirit. It is not, then, merely a question of natural instinct or emotional drive. It is also, and above all, an act of the free will, whose trust is such that it is meant not only to survive the joys and sorrows of daily life, but also to grow..." I think this is a perfet defintion of true love, but then it goes on to say... "so that husband and wife become in a way one heart and one soul, and together attain their human fulfillment." This also describes love, but only narrowly. The use of the words "human fulfillment" make it seem unnatural and insincere. Then to label married love as only being capable for a husband and wife makes it biased. One line that I think sums it up well was, "whoever really loves his partner loves not only for what he receives, but loves that partner for the partner's own sake, content to be able to enrich the other with the gift of himself." Gender aside from all of these claims on love, it applies to everyone, not just a man and a woman. There was only one exception though, "Marriage and conjugal love are by their nature ordained toward the procreation and education of children. Children are really the supreme gift of marriage and contribute in the highest degree to their parents' welfare." (8) I thought this statement was a little exagerated, because procreation is not the only way for a couple to have children and I felt the debate on the purpose for "marital acts" contradicted itself later.

Love is a capacity that cannot be limited to gender and that is where the debate of homosexuality lies. I disagree with this "married love" because it is biased and I think that is unfair to those who feel love, but aren't necessarily allowed to love in the eyes of the Catholic Church. I think 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 even explains this.

Another reason why I found this interesting was because of a recent campaign ad by Rick Perry. Here is the link if you have not already seen it: http://www.youtube.com/user/RPerry2012?v=0PAJNntoRgA.

I was appalled when I saw this because I don't think I have ever seen such a forward presidential campaign. A lot of people have criticized him for this ad specifically for his comment, "gays can serve openly in the military." With all of this going on in the news, I felt this was a significant paragraph that could relate to a variety of topics.

4 comments:

  1. I had not seen that advertisement before. It's quite clearly taking a very defined position on religion, but I think there's some really interesting things going on with the imagery and symbolism too. The outdoors, the river, the jacket he's wearing all speak to nature. I don't think this was by accident. In addition to appealing to the outdoorsy type people I think the nature in this video is making an argument that we must return the country to a more "natural" state. Where natural used in the same sense as the Pope's natural law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad I read your posts. I am a romantic and missed a lot of the biased-ness that was going on through this part of the Pope's reading. It really opened my eyes, so THANKS! But I still do agree with most of the Pope's reading because of what he says about love and caring not for yourself but for your partner. Yes he may have made some mistakes in his approach but that doesn't make the true untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the image you posted. I am not a strong religious person, but this really resonated with me. I am the 'hopeless romantic' type and this confirms everything that I believe love is. Love, to me, is above all things and and I hope to one day feel this powerful. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why oh why do I keep having to speak for the Pope? Anyway, what Jess so elegantly describes as love, is ONE part of the Pope's Natural Law view of how we should live (the affectional / personal part), he's anchoring this case in how 'nature' (build by god) says sex has to be: it has to be procreative.

    ReplyDelete