Sunday, December 4, 2011

Life After Death


Article:



I read an article about the renowned physicist Steven Hawking and his claim that there is no after life. Even though I grew up in a devoted Christian family and went to a Catholic school, I'm not religious, I just kinda always accepted the Catholic faith and the idea of heaven or hell after death. Steven Hawking claims that the human brain is like a computer and will fail when its components fail and like computers, there is no heaven for humans. This really got me thinking, what if this is true when we die, that nothing happens and all we will be is a memory to our family for a few generations, that we are no different than a weed that gets uprooted and its life has ceased and forever will be gone.



The thought of not existing after death, my soul not carrying on, that there isn't a second part to my earthly life gave me some terrible indescribable feelings. I feel like this mind set could be very destructive. For allot of people, this way thinking would take away all sense of hope and would rewrite the meaning to live. The world as we know it would collapse This to me, is why religious faiths are important. All religious faiths proclaim some kind of afterlife for its followers, its what drives people to live according to the religion's standards. Christians are told that if they are good people, they will live happily for eternity in heaven or face the fires ,of hell. This incentive drives Christians to be good and live according to the bible. If people today thought there was no afterlife, it would be total chaos, there would be no order. There would be a loss of morals, because our beliefs is what ultimately forms our morals and the difference of good and bad.



Whether or not god/gods do exist, people as a majority need to believe in some kind of religious faith. Religions set the standards for being a good person and gives people peace and assurance when death does come. Without religion, with out the belief of going to a better place, our world would be far more terrible.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up going to a very Catholic school from the time I was in Kindergarten until I graduated from high school. This concept of life after death was always just assumed for me; it didn't occur to me that there are people in the world who don't believe in it. Although I would not consider myself devoutly Catholic, I do still hold that hope that there is something else out there. I like your point that believing in life after death offers an incentive for people to live better lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of what I had felt back in middle school when I heard or read something that made me grapple with concepts such as death, heaven, reincarnation, souls, etc. It is unimaginable to believe that the course of our lives are meaningless and will not endure as time goes on--how can we live and then just die, be buried and rot away and...tht's it? It gives that sinking feeling so I decided not to dwell on it at that time and instead focus on what I have been taught, whether it be true or not, it gives that positive feeling, that hope and exactly as you said inspiration to live a better, wholesome, and meaningful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't hurt to believe in life after death. I just don't like people to use their religious beliefs to oppress or exclude others. Every major religion is so judgemental and I hate that. I believe in God. I also believe that the state of affairs we are in on this world is not God's ideal. Have you ever read God is NOT Great? I have always wanted to read this book. I just never have time. Check it out and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle is so honest about how awful it feels--terrifyingly awful--to think that we'll just---well---just be NOTHING. And those we love. It makes it so easy to see why we need to believe.

    ReplyDelete