Monday, December 5, 2011


First of all, I know that this blog post is late. I figured I might as well post it anyway; it'd be a learning experience and probably good practice for the final. In my defense, I was out of town spending time with my family, which includes my pot-head brother, which actually helped me write this blog post.
My subject position is that of a "pothead". We spent a lot of time in the beginning of the semester discussing marijuana and the culture that surrounds it. Our discussions always left me thinking about all of the people that I know, whether it be people I'm very close to or people I am simply acquainted with, who regularly smoke pot. Then I thought about the people I know who do not. Tied into things we read and talked about in class, I started thinking about the pot-smoking culture. I have quite a few siblings. One of them, admittedly, likes to smoke. I have another sibling who probably doesn't even know what pot is. If he ever were to smoke, he probably wouldn't even know how to react. He is so engaged in his own culture, which is so very different from anyone else I know, that he doesn't even get the jokes on T.V. or in movies when they reference a side-effect of smoking pot, such as getting "the munchies". He is deaf, (and I'm not saying that deaf people don't smoke pot, because I'm sure there are some out there who do) and his deaf culture is first and foremost the one he associates with. He calls his deaf friends his brothers and sisters, and has a connection with them I can't even imagine.
My pot-smoking brother associates himself with the pot-smoking culture and everything that surrounds it- the "munchies", saying "dude", listening to Bob Marley, things like that. He's proud of this culture.
The specific issue within the pot-smoking culture is the assumption that smoking weed on a regular basis causes people to lose motivation and drive to succeed. My parents chastise my brother daily about his habits. I am definitely not one to defend him, because, in my experiences with people I used to be very close to, this assumption has proven itself true time and time again. However, in the case of my brother, he is proving it very wrong. He is still in school and doing very well, he has a job and he lives on his own, paying rent and taking care of a dog. While I wish I could say that my brother is a deadbeat pothead who does nothing all day, like Seth Rogen's character in "Knocked Up", he is surprising all of us.
In order for us (people who don't regularly smoke pot) to understand why this assumption is wrong, we need to work on our portrayal of people who smoke weed in the media. Marijuana is turning into something that will probably be a widely acceptable form of medication, therapy, and relaxation in the near future. It's already being prescribed for cancer and AIDS patients, as well as people suffering from glaucoma. There is research being done about using marijuana for people with ADHD as well, replacing Adderall or Ritalin. Our portrayals of "potheads" in the media are that they are lazy, broke, and unmotivated.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I hope you can still get it counted. I fall into the group of people who knows very little about marijuana culture, so much of this (much like the Howard Becker reading) comes as a surprise to me). You're absolutely right about the portrayal of pot users in the media as broke, dirty and lazy. And that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of marijuana. That said, I agree it's likely in the future that more legalized uses of marijuana will appear. It could even be completely legalized for general use. Think of the money the government would gain from taxes. People are already using it, legal or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commenting on your post and the above comment from Arlo, it is crazy to me that the crimes involving marijuana are responsible for more men and women being in prison than any other crime. This is obviously because of any illegal act that could land you in jail, the use/sale of marijuana is more commonly practiced than, say, murder. My subject position with regards to marijuana was recently made very apparent to me when my family staged what essentially amounted to an intervention with my step-brother about his marijuana use. My brother failed out of college and moved back in with my folks. He has been unable to keep a job for almost two years now and is becoming (sadly) the typical 'pot head.' Things got very awkward for me at this meeting because he immediately went on the defensive, pointing his finger at me and saying "What the f***?!? Chris smokes weed, too!" This is something that my family members know and have known about since I was in high school. My recreational (read: moderate) use of marijuana is something that I have enjoyed for years, but has never gotten in the way of me excelling in school, work, sports or socially. All of the sudden *I* was on the defensive, explaining how I was paying my way through college and had held my current job for three years and blah, blah, blah. I still felt like kind of a douche-bag for being potentially hypocritical. THEN I realized that if marijuana is a mood altering substance that is widely used, maybe it is best to look at it like alcohol. Something that can be enjoyed in moderation but when taken to excess can have damaging effects on one's ability to fully function in society. Just like there are highly functioning alcoholics, there are also highly functioning pot heads. Likewise, we also see our alcoholic light-weights and the "one-hit-wonders" in the world.

    I would go so far as to say that drinking/bar/club culture is every bit as prominent as stoner culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pot smoking is today's prohibition. We are told the negativity of using coke, shooting up, making meth. But the main source of negativity on pot comes from it's representation through the media. Sure, pot is definitely something people drop school because of, but so is falling in love and getting married. I don't see any laws prohibiting that. Wait, yes I do. I guess that brings to light the structures of authority and law in today's society

    ReplyDelete